Shoulder pain and its remedial measures
2 years ago
Joint Pain in any part of the body makes life difficult. And if the pain occurs in the shoulders, life becomes horrible as a person suffering from shoulder pain is unable to do any task and can’t get enough sleep too.
Dr. Amit Saini, Orthopedician at Sapra Multispecialty Hospital in Hisar shares the kind of shoulder pains and ways of getting rid of shoulder pain.
There are many causes due to which shoulder pain can occur. This may include inflammation, Instability, Arthritis, and Fracture (broken bone).
Some ways to ease shoulder pain are:
1. Cold and Heat Therapy: To ease the swelling and numbness of shoulder, use Cold compresses. Apply an ice pack or frozen gel pack, to your shoulder for 20 minutes at a time, up to five times a day. Always make sure the cold compress must get wrapped while applying. Heat therapy can relax muscles and ease stiffness.
2. Use Anti-inflammatory medicines: If you feel like muscle tension and strain in shoulders, apply muscle relaxants or take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines (NSAIDs) like aspirin and ibuprofen can help relieve pain and inflammation.
3. Exercise: Exercise to relieve pain and increase flexibility. If exercising is worsening your pain, don’t do it. Take some rest and try afterward. Don’t do overexertion or activities that demand high mobility of shoulder muscles.
4. Surgery: Surgery is the last option in shoulder pain treatment. Surgery is recommended by an orthopedist when all the other options get failed. In some cases such as recurring dislocations and some rotator cuff tears, surgery is recommended by an orthopedist.
Operation may require arthroscopy to remove scar tissue or repair tore tissue or traditional open processes for bigger reconstructions or replacement of the shoulder.
Dr.Amit Saini recommends that one should see an orthopedician when he is experiencing the following:
- Pain that is not improving with rest and medication.
- If your shoulder is so stiff that it can’t be lifted and rotated normally
- Shoulder pain is occurring repeatedly
- Separation or dislocation: if your shoulder is dislocated or feels like it could slide out