International Plastic Bag Free Day : Aims & Importance
2 days ago
International Plastic Bag Free Day is celebrated on 3 July that aims at getting rid of the single use plastic bags around the world. On 3 July 2008, First International Plastic Bag Free Day was celebrated. The day was instituted by Rezero, a member of Zero Waste Europe (ZWE) on July 3, 2008.In the European Union, however, ZWE introduced the International Plastic Bag Free Day a year later.
As we all know about the harm of plastic bags to the environment. Plastic Bags have an impact on the ocean , animals and nature. It takes 1000 years to decay completely and 400-500 years to get decompose. Only 2%-3% plastic bags are recycled globally.
The most popular activity done on International Plastic Bag Free Day is people gathered and picking all the garbage from parks, roads, beaches, oceans and rivers. In India, every year 3.5 million tonnes of plastic bags are generated. On 1 July 2022, plastic bags were banned to promote the adoption of environment friendly products like cloth bags or paper bags instead of plastic bags.
Also, this year World Environment Day 2023 theme is #BeatplasticPollution
As per UN statistics, Every year millions of tons of plastic are produced which affect our environment. The packaging sector is the largest producer of single use plastic waste in the world. Approx 36 % of plastic produced is used in packaging, 85% of which end up in landfills or as mismanaged waste. 100 million pounds of plastic enters the ocean from the industrial sector. 60% of material made into clothing is plastic. Laundry alone causes around 500000 tonnes of plastic microfibers to be released into the ocean every year. This shows that we have to work hard to protect our environment from the plastic pollution.
How to celebrate International Plastic Bag Free Day
- By informing friends and family about the harm of the plastic bags.
- Avoid using Plastic bags and use Jute bags.
- Avoid single use plastic bags.
- If you are going on shopping, take your own paper or jute bag.
- Recycle any plastic item you have in your home.
- Engaged with any organization that is working for environment
- Participate in events and pick up all the garbage from parks, roads.
International Plastic Bag Free Day 2023 Quotes
- Make a plastic-free day every day. Happy International Plastic bag-free day.
- Say no to single-use plastic bags. Happy International Plastic bag-free day.
- Use paper bags and avoid plastic bags. Happy International Plastic bag-free day.
- Take a pledge and do your bit for the environment. Avoid Plastic Bags. Happy International Plastic bag-free day.
- Go green, plastic is obscene. Happy International Plastic bag-free day.
- Cut The ‘Plastic’, Use ‘Paper Bags’.
- Reduce, Refuse, Reuse, Recycle Plastic Bags, Instead Renew, Reuse And Recycle Paper Bags.
- Plastics would make the world like a shining diamond that glistens everywhere. Avoid Plastic. Save Environment