Food of Punjab: 16 Traditional Food of Punjab
11 months ago
Punjab is famous all over the world for varied reasons. Maybe it is food, music, or festival, Punjabis are full of valor and enthusiasm. In India, especially among North India Punjab is a haven to Tandoori food.
Punjabi cuisine is also known as the breadbasket of India. Desi Ghee is the essential ingredient of Punjabi food that increases the richness and delicacy of the food.
Here’s the list of some famous dishes of Punjab
- Butter Chicken – Butter Chicken is an ultimate dish of Punjab, and their no celebration is completed without this yummy treat. It’s a spicy gravy dish that paired up with naan, or rumaali roti.
- Shakkar Para – Shakkar Para is a sweet snack made from semolina, flour, and light sugar. It can also be coated with coarse sugar or desiccated coconut for a different flavor. Shakar para is a deep-fried Punjabi dish usually served with a cup of tea.
- Lassi – Lassi is a beverage and Punjabi’s pride for them. The Lassi can be sweet with a blob of cream and butter, or it can be salty. For a twist, Lassi can also be flavored with different flavors like mango, rose, strawberry, etc. It’s a popular beverage all over India and also across borders.
- Masala Chana – Masala Chana is a popular dish of Punjab. Masala Chana can be dry, or has gravy. Boiled chana, chopped onions, tomatoes, and potatoes, green chilli, ginger, and aromatic spices like garam masala, chaat masala, coriander powder, red chilli powder, and a lime juice gives taste to Masala Chana.
- Chole-Bhature – Chole-Bhature – a name whenever heard, people start drooling. It is one of the special dishes of Punjab. The fermented white flour dough is use to make Bhatura, and Chole is somewhat like masala chana but little bit more spicy. It is served hot with onions and pickles.
- Aloo Parantha – Aloo Parantha is the most famous breakfast in Punjab as well as in other northern states of India. It is made from wholemeal flour, salt, and ghee. The mixture of mashed potatoes, ginger, green chillies, coriander, dried pomegranate seeds, chilli powder, and salt is stuffed into the dough and fried on tawa. Parantha is topped with butter and served with chutneys, pickles, onions, yogurt, and a cup of tea.
- Amritsari Fish – Amritsari Fish as the name indicates is a specialty of Amritsar city of Punjab. From inside, it is fried, juicy, and spicy. Amritsari fish is served with naan and cold Lassi. This dish is also famous all over India.
- Dal Makhani – Dal Makhani is one of the most popular dishes of India, originated in Punjab. It consists of red kidney beans and whole black lentils with huge amount of ghee, ginger garlic paste, chilli, and tomato-based sauce. This dish is topped with cream or yogurt and served with naan, rice, or roti.
- Paneer Tikka – Paneer Tikka has a special place in the food of Punjab, as it is known as “chicken of the vegetarians.” In this, cheese is chargrilled and spiced with different spices.
- Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi – Punjabi Pakoda Kadhi is the dish prepared with a combination of yogurt and gram flour with a mixture of spices like chilli peppers, ginger, garlic, fenugreek, cumin, and mustard seeds. Punjabi Kadhi is well-known for its uniqueness as they add pakoda in it. Pakoda is prepared with gram flour, onions, spinach, or fenugreek leaves. This dish is accompanied by rice or roti. Kadhi chawal is yet another famous dish of Punjab.
- Rajma Chawal – Rajma Chawal brings a nostalgic feeling for most. It is originated from Kashmir, but it’s a favorite dish of all Punjabis. Rajma is a curry dish of Red kidney beans and chawal is steamed rice. The combination of these two brings water to many mouths.
- Sarson ka Saag – Sarson ka Saag and Punjab can’t be isolated. This dish is best served during winters. Spinach and mustard leaves are added to make it healthy and tasty. A spoonful of Ghee is poured from above on the saag and served with Makki ki roti.
- Makki ki Roti – Makke ki Roti is incomplete without Sarson ka Saag. Makke ki roti is made of cornflour, little bit of regular flour and grated radish as a binding agent. It is served with sarson ka saag and jaggery. Every punjabi is fond of this combination.
- Kadha Prashad – Kadha Prashad is the famous dish of Punjab food made in Gurudwara. It is made with equal proportions of sooji, butter, and sugar. The best Kadha Prashad is served at the Golden Temple.
- Gobhi-Shalgam-Gajaar Achaar – Punjabis love their food, especially their pickles. Among all the yummy pickles, Gobhi-Shalgam-Gajaar Achaar is the most famous pickle. It has tangy, sweet, and spicy flavors that increase the taste in the food.
- Pinni – Pinni is a sweet dish mainly prepared in winters. This dish is made with desi ghee, wheat flour, jaggery, and almonds. It is a delicious and nutritious dish of Punjab that is eaten in every home of Punjab as to remain strong during winter chill.
The food of Punjab is full of nutrients and flavors. So, whenever get a chance to explore Punjab, surely eat street food and the above-mentioned dishes of Punjab to get the real taste of Punjab.