Top Cardiologists in India
1 year ago
Heart-related disorders or Cardiac interventions are intricate medical treatments as it is carried out on one of our body’s most vital organs. That’s why choosing the top cardiologist or cardiac expert for the treatment is essential.
Before choosing the best cardiologist, you will search for different factors like the qualification, and experience of the surgeon. Here we are giving you information on the professional backgrounds of the top cardiac surgeons or cardiologists in India.
Cardiology is the medical speciality that deals with disorders and diseases of the heart, including congenital abnormalities. Patients with abnormalities of the heart are treated by cardiologists.
Here are the top 10 Cardiologists in India
Dr Naresh Trehan
Dr Naresh Trehan is Chairman and Managing Director of Medanta – The Medicity, Gurgaon. He is a world-renowned cardiovascular and cardiothoracic surgeon who is having five decades of experience in the field of cardiovascular surgery. He received Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan awards from the Government of India for distinguished service in medicine.
- Diplomate from the American Board of Cardiothoracic Surgery, the USA in 1979
- Diplomate from the American Board of Surgery, the U.S.A. in 1977
- M.B.B.S. from K.G. Medical College Lucknow in 1968
Specialization and Expertise
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Heart Transplant
- Dr Trehan has over 48,000 successful open heart surgeries to his credit and is the driving force behind the one-of-its-kind hospital.
Memberships & Certifications
- Ex-President of the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Member of Society of Thoracic Surgeons of U.S.A.
- Member of the Scientific Council of the American College of Angiology U.S.A.
- Member of Board of Directors of the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal “Heart Surgery Forum Council
- Member of Association of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons of Asia
- Member of The European Association for Cardio-thoracic Surgery
- Chairman of Confederation of Indian Industries-Healthcare Industry Committee
- President of Indian Health Care Federation
- Member of Key Advisory Group of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of IndiaVice Chairman of Services Export Promotion Council
- Member of Task Force on Skill Development of XIth Five Year Plan of Planning Commission
- Member of Governing Council TIFAC
- Member of Institute Body of Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences
- Member of Governing Council of Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology
Awards & Accomplishments
- Dr B. C. Roy National Award, 2005
- Life Time Achievement Award, 2002
- FRACS (Hon), 2002
- AMA Physician’s Recognition Award, 2001
- Padma Bhushan, 2001
- Rotary Ratna Award, 1996
- Rajiv Gandhi National Unity Award, 1995
- India International Gold Award, 1995
- Padma Shri, 1991
Dr Ashok Seth
Dr. Ashok Seth is the Chairman of Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi, Chairman of Fortis Healthcare Medical Council, and Adjunct Professor of Cardiology at JN Medical College (Aligarh Muslim University) and National Board of Examinations. He has 32 years of experience in the field of cardiology having the highest angiographies and angioplasties recognized by the Limca Book of Records.
Dr Seth is one of the top cardiologists in India who has pioneered numerous angioplasty techniques for India and the Asia Pacific like Directional Atherectomy, Angioscopy, Stents, Thrombectomy devices & Drug Eluting Stents, use of Impella heart support device failing heart, Bioabsorbable Stents and Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI), MitraClip Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair, Intravascular Coronary Lithotripsy (Shockwave)
He is the Founder/Course Director of five major National & International Angioplasty Teaching Courses – India Live, India Valves, CHIP-CTO India, AICT-AsiaPCR and the Imaging & Physiology Council of India. He is also Associate Director of TCT Scientific Sessions (USA) and Program Committee Member of EuroPCR.
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.), J N Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, India, 1979
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (F.R.C.P.), Edinburgh, 1995
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (F.R.C.P.), Ireland, 1995
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (F.R.C.P.), London, 1995
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiology (F.A.C.C.), 1995
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (F.E.S.C.), 2013.
- Fellow of the Society of Cardiac Angiography & Intervention (F.S.C.A.I.), U.S.A., 1995
- Fellow of the International Medical Sciences Academy (F.I.M.S.A.), 1998
- Fellow of the Cardiological Society of India (F.C.S.I.), 2011
- Doctorate of Science (D.Sc) Honoris Causa, Banaras Hindu University, India, 1998
- Doctorate of Science (D.Sc) Honoris Causa, Tirthankar Mahavir University, Moradabad India, 2012
- Doctor of Letters (D.Litt.) Honoris Causa, Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi, India, 2012.
- Doctorate of Science (D.Sc) Honoris Causa, Amity University, Noida (U.P.), India, 2012. Doctorate of Science (D.Sc) Honoris Causa, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India, 2016
- Master Fellows of Society of Cardiac Angiography & Intervention (MSCAI), U.S.A., 2017
Memberships & Certifications
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians (M.R.C.P.), U.K., 1984
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians (M.R.C.P.), Ireland, 1986
- President – Asian Pacific Society of Interventional Cardiology (APSIC),
- Past President- Cardiological Society of India
- Past Vice President – Asia Pacific Society of Cardiology
Awards & Accomplishments
- Padma Shri in 2003,
- Padma Bhushan in 2015
- ‘B.C.Roy National Award’ for the most ‘Eminent Medical Person’ by the President of India in January 2017
- The National Honour of the Republic of Spain “Crus Officer with Insignia Order of Isabella the Catholic”,
- Master Interventionalist (MSCAI) by the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography & Interventions (USA), ‘
- Life Time Achievement in Interventional Cardiology’ Award by Chien Foundation (Singapore) in addition to 85 other national and international awards.
- Doctorates from six prestigious national universities – BHU, AMU, Jamia Millia Islamia, Amity, Shiv Nadar and Teerthankar Mahavir University
- Adjunct Professorship of Cardiology of J N Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University and the National Board of Examinations
Dr Devi Prasad Shetty
Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty is the Chairman of Narayana Health, and also an Executive Director. He is a top cardiologist in India with around 34 years of experience. In 2000, he founded Narayana Health. Dr Shetty is a professor at Rajiv Gandhi University of Medical Sciences, Bengaluru, India and the University of Minnesota Medical School, USA.
- MBBS from the University of Mysore in 1978
- Master’s degree in surgery from the University of Mysore in 1982
- In 2009, granted a fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery since 1996
- Life member of the Indian Medical Association
- Member of the Finance Committee of the 47th Annual Conference of the Indian Association of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons
- Member of the governing body of the Medical Council of India between 2010 and 2011
Awards & Accomplishments
- Padma Shri’ and ‘Padma Bhushan Award in 2003 and 2012 respectively
- Rajyotsava Award’ in 2002 conferred by the Government of Karnataka
- ‘Dr. B C Roy National Award’ by the Dr B C Roy National Award Fund under the category of ‘Eminent Medical Person in 2003
- ‘Entrepreneur of the Year Award – Start-up 2003’ by Ernst & Young, India
- and ‘Sir M. Visveswaraya Memorial Award’ conferred by the Government of Karnataka in 2003
- Outstanding Social Entrepreneurship Award’ by the Confederation of Indian Industry in 2005
- ‘The President’s Award by the American College of Cardiology in 2011,
- Economic Times Entrepreneur of the Year in 2012
- Honorary Fellow at the College Physicians and Surgeons of Mumbai
- Doctor of Laws by the University of Minnesota in 2011
- In 2014, he was awarded the Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) by the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bengaluru.
- 19th Nikkei Asia Prize, Economic and Business Innovation’ by Nikkei Inc. in 2014
Dr Purshottam Lal
Dr. Purshotam Lal is a highly acclaimed Interventional cardiologist in India, also the chairman of Metro Group of Hospitals & Director of Interventional Cardiology. He is a recipient of Limca’s book of records several times. Dr Lal has performed more than 11,000 cases with 100% success and created the largest series in the world.
He has more than twenty ‘firsts’ to his credit such as Slow Rotational Angioplasty, Coronary Atherectomy, diamond drilling of arteries (Rotablator), Non-Surgical Closure of Heart Hole, Non-Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement, etc. He performed the first case of Non-Surgical Heart Hole Closure (ASD) with Monodisc Device and Aortic Valve Replacement with Core Valve for the first time in the world. He Introduced INOUE Balloon, the most popular balloon for opening tight valves, & was designated as 1st Investigator in India by the Toray Co. Japan.
- AB (USA)
- FRCP (C)
- FSCAI (USA)
- Member, Cardiovascular Research Society (Germany)
- Member, British Cardiovascular Interventional Society (UK)
- Member, Standing Committee, ESIC, Govt. of India
- Member, Delhi Medical Council
- Formerly: Member, Board of Governors, Medical Council of India
- Member, Expert Committee for Medical Devices, Ministry of Health, Govt. of India
- Member, Central Council of Health & Family Welfare, Govt.
- Jawaharlal Nehru International Excellence Award 1990
- Rajiv Gandhi Excellence Award 1991
- Dr V V Shah Oration Gold Medal by Cardiological Society of India 1992
- Lifetime achievement award by Delhi Medical Association in 2002
- Padma Bhushan in 2003
- Dr B C Roy National Award 2004 for innovations in Interventional Cardiology
- Padma Vibhushan in 2009
- Recipient of “Distinguished Achievement Award of Highest Order” by the National Body of Indian Medical Association for performing the largest number of Angioplasties/Stenting in the country as a single operator
- World’s Greatest Leader title in India-UAE Business Summit, 2015.
- Honorary Degree of Doctor of Science (Medicine) by Shri Kalraj Mishra, Governor of Rajasthan at the convocation ceremony of Rajasthan University of Health Sciences, Jaipur, 2022
Dr Jamshed Dalal
Dr Jamshed is one of the most experienced & esteemed Cardiologists in India having an experience of over 40+ years. Dr Jamshed Dalal is the Director of the Centre for Cardiac Sciences at Kokilaben Hospital, Mumbai. He has performed more than 20000 cases over 35 years. Dr Dalal has elaborated on the coronary angioplasty procedure and is involved in teaching the procedure to doctors in India and China over the last 20 years.
- MBBS, MD (Gen Medicine), DM (Cardiology), PhD (Cardiology), FESC, FRCP (London).
- Dr Jamshed has expertise or special interest in Adult Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Pharmacology
- Cardiological Society of India
- Indian College of Interventional Cardiology
- Association of Consultants, Mumbai
- Indian Medical association
- Cardiovascular Society of India
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
- The Cardiology Society of India Prize for Distinction at D.M. Cardiology 1977.
- The “Young Research workers Award” by The British Cardiac Society, UK 1981.
- Jaycee award for “Outstanding Young Person”, Mumbai, 1985
- Awarded “Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians” London, 2016
Dr Ramakanta Panda
Ramakanta Panda is the Chief Consultant for Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery and the Group CEO of the Asian Heart Institute. He is among the top cardiologists in India. He has performed about 28000 successful cardiac surgeries including over 1900 redo bypass surgeries. Dr Panda is known as ‘one of the safest heart surgeons in the world and the ‘surgeon with the safest hands as he has successfully operated on high-risk cardiac cases, sent to him from all over the world after being regarded as otherwise inoperable. He is the first in India to introduce “total arterial revascularization”, “off-pump” bypass surgery, redo bypass surgery and high-risk surgeries.
He has performed a number of high-profile cardiac surgeries on members of the Indian government.
- MBBS- Sriram Chandra Bhanja Medical College Cuttack,
- Post-graduation in surgery and heart surgery -AIIMS
- Fellowship at Cleveland Clinic, USA
- Trained under legendary cardiac surgeons like Dr Floyd Loop and transplant specialist, Prof Magdi Yacoub at Harefield Hospital, in the UK
- Padma Bhushan
- Degree of Doctorate in Science (Honorius Causa) from Utkal University, Orissa and Utkal Ratna by the Oriya Sahitya Samaj
- Rashtriya Samman Patra twice, for being one of the highest taxpayers in India
- He was nominated to the AIIMS governing body.
Dr Ajay Kaul
Dr Ajay Kaul is a top cardiologist in India having vast surgical experience of over 20,000 cardiac surgeries. He is serving as Chairman of cardiac science, Fortis Hospital, Noida. Dr Kaul is having an experience of more than 38 years. In his 38 years of career, he is widely acknowledged for his expertise in treating Total Arterial Coronary Bypass Surgery, Paediatric Cardiac Surgery, Valve Repairs, Structural Heart Disease, and Surgery for Cardiac Failure. He has performed over 5000 Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgical procedures, Interventions for Structural Heart Disease, Peripheral Vascular and Endovascular Stent placement, Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement, Transcatheter Mitral Valve replacement transplants and Left Ventricular Assist Device.
- MS (General Surgery)
- M.Ch (Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery)
- Fellowship in Heart & Lung transplant, Hannover Medical School
- Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, Leipzig Heart Centre, Germany
Dr Praveen Chandra
Dr Praveen Chandra is the Chairman of Interventional Cardiology at Medanta Medicity, Gurgaon, India and is a leading cardiologist in India. He has also served as Director of Cardiac Cath Lab & Acute MI Services at Max Healthcare and Consultant Cardiologist at Escorts Heart Institute and Research Center, New Delhi.
He is the first in India who did Percutaneous Aortic valve implantation and percutaneous mitral valve repair without surgery. He was also the first one who used Angio Jet Thrombectomy Device, started the Percutaneous Myocardial Laser vascularization Program in Asia and was the first to use FFR & Bioabsorbable stents in India.
MD, DM, FACC, FESC, FSCAI, FAPSIC
- Fellow of the Endovascular Intervention Society of India
- Fellow of Asia-Pacific Society of Interventional Cardiology
- Organizer and Director of the AMI course held in New Delhi for the years 2005 & 2006.
- Published approximately 100 articles, reviews and abstracts in various national and international journals
- “Padma Shri” in 2016 by the President of India.
- Prestigious Recognition Award for Success and Achievement in the field of angioplasty in India
Dr Tejas Patel
Dr Tejas M Patel is one of the Top cardiologists in India known for his achievements in the field of interventional cardiology. He is known for his coronary angiography and interventions with transradial technique. His experience of over 1,00,000 cath lab procedures is the highest experience amongst any single operator in India and one of the highest in the world.
He is the Chairman and Chief Interventional Cardiologist at Apex Heart Institute, Ahmedabad India. He has over 99.8% success rate in coronary interventions including complex lesions like CTO (Chronic Total Occlusion), and LMCA interventions.
- MBBS from B.J.medical college, Gujarat University in 1986.
- MD from B.J medical college Gujarat University in 1989.
- D.M from U.N. Mehta Institute of Cardiology & Research Centre, Gujarat University in 1991.
- Over 30 years as an interventional cardiologist
- Over 1,00,000 Cath Lab procedures.
- Over 1000 image-guided PCI
- Over 35,000 coronary interventions
- Over 700 Robotic Assisted PCI
- 5 Telerobotic Coronary Interventions
- Smt. N.H.L. Municipal Medical College Professor & Head
- Professor & Head – Department of Cardiovascular Sciences Smt. N.H.L. Municipal Medical College, Sheth V.S. General Hospital, Affiliated to Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. (2008 onwards)
- Virginia commonwealth university(VCU) Medical Centre, Richmond USA, Professor of medicine (cardiology)
- Professor of medicine (cardiology) at Virginia commonwealth university (VCU) Medical Centre, Richmond USA (2013 onwards)
- Indian Heart Journal, Journal of American College of Cardiology (Indian Edition) and Journal of Invasive Cardiology Editorial Boards
- Appointed on editorial boards of Indian Heart Journal, Journal of American College of Cardiology (Indian Edition) and Journal of Invasive Cardiology (published from the USA)
- American Journal of Cardiology (Reviewer)
- Reviewer for American Journal of Cardiology
- International Journal of Cardiology (Reviewer)
- Reviewer for International Journal of Cardiology
- Reviewer for JACC –Interventions
- Padmashri Award
- Dr B. C. Roy Award
- Dr K. Sharan Cardiology Excellence Award
Dr Dinesh Sehgal
Dr Dinesh Sehgal, a top interventional cardiologist in India currently working as Director and Head of the Department of Cardiology at SMS Multispeciality Hospital, Hisar. He has more than 10 years of experience in interventional cardiology. Before working as Head of the Department at SMS hospital, he also served as Senior Consultant, Cardiology, Jindal Institute of Cardiac care, Senior Consultant of Cardiology at CMC, Hisar, Assistant Professor of cardiology, National Heart Institute, New Delhi, Assistant professor of cardiology at Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology, Banglore (Apex Cardiology Hospital under GOVT. of KARNATAKA) and Assistant Professor of Cardiology at U.N.Mehta Institute of Cardiology and Research Centre(Apex Cardiology Hospital under Govt. of Gujarat).
- CAG – 20,000 +
- PTCA – 5,000 +
- BMV – 500
- Devices – 300 (Pacemaker, AICD)
- Experienced in BAV, BPV, Pediatric and adult closure devices also
- D.M. (Cardiology), MAR 2011- distinction and University Gold medalist. U.N.Mehta Institute of Cardiology and Research Centre, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Post-graduation: M.D. (MEDICINE), April 2007, Institute of Medical Sciences & S. S.Hospital, B.H.U., Varanasi
- M.B.B.S, December 2002, Institute of Medical Sciences, B.H.U. Varanasi
- Best Interventional Cardiologist in Haryana & Punjab by Brahm Mohindra, Health Minister of Punjab in 2016
Publications and Presentations
- Polyarthritis associated with Testicular tumour-A case report, Journal of associations of Physicians of India(JAPI), July 2007
- Unusual presentation of Hyaline Vascular Castleman’s Disease-A case report; Jan 2007
- Recent advances in Mx of Sepsis, APICON UPDATE,2006, U.P. CHAPTER
- Dose modification in Renal Diseases
- A Comparative Study of p53 antigen expression in RA, SLE& Scleroderma and its correlation with the disease activity
- p53 antigen expression in Rheumatological Disorders, IRACON UPDATE 2006
- Takayasu’s Arteritis in Western parts of India
- Varied Presentation of Hyaline Vascular Castleman’s Disease, Indian Medical Gazette, Jan 2006