Suicidal death Rate: Every hour 18 suicides occur in the country as per NCRB Data

1 year ago

As per NCRB (National Crime Records Bureau) Data, India recorded over 1.64 lakh deaths due to suicides in 2021 – an average of nearly 450 daily or 18 every hour, with the figures reaching highest for any calendar year so far.

There were nearly 1.19 lakh males, 45,026 females and 28 transgenders, who died by suicide in the year 2021 as per data from the National Crime Records Bureau’s ‘Accidental Deaths.

NCRB, which functions under the Ministry of Home Affairs showed that in 2020, 1.53 lakh deaths by suicide were recorded across the country. This shows a sharp rise in suicidal deaths from year 2020 to 2021.

 “There are various causes of suicides like professional or career problems, sense of isolation, abuse, violence, family problems, mental disorders, addiction to alcohol, financial loss, chronic pain etc,” the NCRB said in its annual report for 2021.

The majority of suicides were reported in Maharashtra (22,207) followed by 18,925 suicides in Tamil Nadu, 14,965 suicides in Madhya Pradesh, 13,500 suicides in West Bengal and 13,056 suicides in Karnataka accounting for 13.5%, 11.5%, 9.1%, 8.2% and 8.0% of total suicides respectively. These 5 States together accounted for 50.4% of the total suicides reported in the country. The remaining 49.6% of suicides were reported in the remaining 23 States and 8 UTs.

Suicial RAte India 2021 State Wise

The NCRB also said that it collects data on suicides from police-recorded suicide cases.

Detailed Data Report Here

Seema Jain

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *