Food of Andhra Pradesh – 12 famous food of Andhra Pradesh
1 year ago
Andhra Pradesh cuisine is known for its spicy taste all over the country. Andhra Pradesh’s food is highly influenced by Nawab’s culture. Andhra Pradesh cuisine comprises of both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.
Rice is common in all the meals of Andhra cuisine. Guntur red chilli is widely used as spice. Ragi is the popular ingredient in the Rayalaseema region whereas Jaggery, shallots, and fenugreek paste are famous ingredients in the Uttarandhra region.
Here is the list of famous food of Andhra Pradesh –
- Pulihora – Pulihora is a sort of tamarind rice having a spicy, sour, and salty taste at once. Rice, curry leaves, tomato extract, and mustard seeds are common ingredients. Prepared during festivals and special occasions and distributed as Prasad in temples.
- Pulasa Pulusu – Pulasa is a fish found in river Godavari, a highly famous and most expensive fish of Andhra Pradesh. It is a seasonal fish having an amazing taste. People long wait for the arrival of pulasa to the market.
- Gongura Mutton – Gongura Mutton is a traditional mutton curry of Andhra Pradesh, cooked with gongura leaves and a touch of spiciness of aromatic spices. This mutton is best served with Biryani.
- Pesarattu – Pesarattu is a type of dosa prepared with batter having a small amount of rice flour and a large amount of moong dal.
- Andhra Chicken Biryani – Andhra Chicken Biryani has chicken pieces with spicy masala. The Andhra Chicken Biryani is garnished with coriander leaves and served with steamed rice. Chicken Biryani is one of the famous dishes of Andhra Pradesh.
- Gutti Vankaya Koora – Gutti Vankaya Koora is the best known Brinjal dish of Andhra Pradesh. Prepared with a combination of peanut, brinjals, and red chili, served with steamed rice and bajra or jowar roti.
- Punugulu – Punugulu is a delicious snack prepared with idli batter and served with coconut ginger chutney. This lip-smacking dish is enjoyed with a cup of tea or coffee.
- Curd Rice – Curd Rice is popular in Andhra Pradesh as well as in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, and Kerala. Without curd rice, no south Indian meal is complete. Curd rice is prepared by unsweetened curd, rice, ginger, green chili, curry leaves, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, urad dal, and mixed vegetables. It has plenty of health benefits and also helps indigestion.
- Dondakaya Fry – Dondakaya Fry is one of the healthiest dishes of Andhra Pradesh cuisine. Prepared with Ivy Gourd Curry, nuts, and aromatic spices served with rice or roti and rasam. Dondakaya fry is a package of vitamins and minerals.
- Bobbatlu – Bobbatlu is also known as Puran Poli. This dish is famous in Andhra Pradesh as well as in Maharashtra. It is prepared during special occasions and festivals with wheat flour or refined flour, stuffed with lentils and jaggery. Bobbatlu is the traditional dish of Andhra Pradesh cuisine.
- Medu Vada – Medu Vada is a popular South Indian food famous in Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu. Medu vada is also called as Ulundu Vadai, Ulli Garelu, and Uzhunnu Vada. Prepared using urad dal during festivals and special occasions.
- Uppindi – Uppindi is a popular dish also known as Rava Upma dish or Arisi Upma in Andhra Pradesh. It is prepared by using Rava, peanuts, and different spices.
With the unique taste and different cooking styles, Andhra Pradesh cuisine is popular all over India. So, try out all the famous food of Andhra Pradesh whenever you visit there.