Types of Gemstones
1 month ago
The Gems and Jewelry industry in India has gained immense popularity and recognition owing to their humongous contribution in Indian economy through exports. The jewelry industry has also gained global popularity due to the fine expertise of the craftsmen and the superlative techniques of craving and designing various gems. Gemstones of various kind have attracted humans since time immemorial and have been extensively used for jewelry. Beauty and attractiveness of a gemstone lies in their colour which gives it an exceptional luster and a magnificent finish. A gemstone essentially consists of various minerals which gives it a status of highly prized beauty and rarity. However, a major requisite for gemstone of any kind is that it should be durable and retain the polish of the stone. It is believed by many that gemstones are endowed with some miraculous powers which drives away any bad omen or woeful energy. Below we are listing some of the few popular gemstones which are famous in India and elsewhere.
- Amber- it is a semi-precious gemstone which is found in a range of colours like black, brown, yellow, red etc. Then gemstones occasionally is known to incorporate mesmerizing plants and insects which increases its popularity to a great extent. Since times immemorial, this gemstone has been used to decorative purposes and healing therapies.
- Azurite- is another precious gemstone that is a soft, blue coloured gemstone found generally in copper ore mines. The gemstone is a highly treasured stone as it is believed to relieve stress and enhance creativity. Azurite stone are mainly imported from Australia, Chile, Russia and China.
- Rose quartz- is a hugely popular gemstone and is famously known as Love stone or Bohemian Ruby. This gemstone is found in a range of colours like pale pink to deep reddish-pink and is also bestowed with a few magical powers. It is known for enhancing self-esteem and is prized for its beautification powers.
- Royal blue Sapphire- is an ultimate quality sapphire that fulfils an extensive set of qualities medium-deep blue to strong blue colour and has gold transparency. The gemstone is widely used for both astrological and jewelry purposes.
- Basra pearl- it is a highly precious variety of natural pearl gemstone which has originated from Basra region of Persian Gulf. This gemstone gained immense popularity owing to its smooth texture and colour which further increased its rarity.
- Cubic Zirconia- popularly known as American diamond, it is highly precious gemstone that is essentially colorless and a synthetic gemstone. It is largely used for jewelry purposes in India and elsewhere.
- Opal- it is a white-colored semi-precious which belongs to the silicate mineral family. It has gained huge popularity and recognition due to the wonderful ‘play of colors’. It is considered as an astrological substitute of precious diamond worn for attaining great successes, luxuries and good health.
- Pearl- is an organic, white to bluish-grey colored precious gemstone which holds a strong astrological significance. This gemstone is produced inside the body of a living organism called ‘Molusc’. Pearl gems are also used as a birthstone.
- Ruby- is a highly valued gemstone that belongs to the corundum mineral species and also includes sapphire. The vibrant bright red of this stone is due to the traces of chromium present in this corundum mineral. This gemstone is highly treasured.
- Emerald- is a semi-precious stone which is found in bluish-green to green colours variants and is a part of beryl mineral. This variety of gem was highly cherished by Spanish rulers. Presently, fine emerald gems are exported from Africa and South America.
- Aquamarine- this gemstone is named after seawater and is popular for it’s a fresh watery hue and has a cool plungy texture. They widely available gemstones that are blue to slightly greenish in color.
- White topaz- it is a highly valued semi-precious transparent gemstone that is often confused with diamond because of it’s radiance and luster. It is commonly known as clear topaz or silver topaz and is excellent for meditation and healing properties.
- Persian turquoise- these are magnificent, brilliant blue gemstones that originated in Iran. It belongs to the turquoise gemstone family. Due to its impeccable beauty and texture, these are called ‘sleeping beauty turquoise’.
- Apatite- this gemstone has ultimate healing properties and makes an excellent choice for jewelry and decorative purposes. This gemstone gives a minimalistic yet classic look and adorns the beauty of the wearer.
Ametrine- is a semi-precious stone, bi-color gemstone which belongs to the quartz mineral family. It is regarded as a mixture of few other gemstones and appears as bands of purple and orange on a crystal. Ancient history has it that this gemstone was used for healing purposes.