Food of Karnataka – 22 famous dishes of Karnataka
8 months ago
Karnataka cuisine is highly influenced by its neighbor’s states like Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, and Maharashtra. The flavors of Karnataka cuisine changes from one region to another. Mangalore and Uttara Canara are famous for tangy seafood, South Karnataka is famous for various types of Bhath, and North Karnataka has spicy food in comparison to other parts of Karnataka.
The main ingredients of Karnataka cuisine are ragi, rice, jowar, urad dal, semolina, and palm jaggery. In Karnataka, meals are traditionally served on a banana leaf.
Here is the list of 22 famous dishes of Karnataka –
- Dosa – Dosa is not only popular in Karnataka, but is a famous dish all over India. Dosa is the pancake prepared with a fermented batter of rice and black gram, served with sambar and coconut chutney. There are many varieties of Dosas. Davangere Benne Dosa is prepared with a large amount of butter, Mysore Masala Dosa prepared with spicy potato fillings, Set Dosa is prepared with ragi and rava, and NeerDosa is prepared with soaked rice.
- Korri Gassi – Korri Gassi is a chicken curry cooked with spices, tamarind, and ground fresh coconut. It is served with neer dosa or roti. This dish is originated from the coastal region of Karnataka and mostly eaten in Mangalore.
- Kundapura Koli Saaru – Kundapura Koli Saaru is a chicken curry cooked with onion, ginger, garlic, and aromatic spices. This dish is served with neer dosa, rice, or roti.
- Allugedda – Allugedda is a famous dish of Karnataka prepared with mashed potatoes, tomato, black gram, and onion. Allugedda is served with dosa or rice. It can also be served with tea or coffee as a snack.
- Mysore Pak – Mysore Pak is the sweet dish of Karnataka prepared with chickpea flour, ghee, and sugar. The texture of the dish depends on the amount of ghee added in it.
- Coorg Pandi Curry – Coorg Pandi Curry is a popular non-vegetarian delicacy prepared with spices and Coorg vinegar (prepared from Kachumpuli). This dish is served with rice balls or Akki roti.
- Haalbai – Haalbai is a fudge of ground rice, coconut, jaggery, and coconut milk. Haalbai is the most famous dessert in Karnataka.
- Bisi Bele Bhath – Bisi Bele Bhath is the famous dish of Karnataka prepared with a mixture of blended rice, lentils, vegetables, and spices. It is served with ghee, potato chips, or boondi.
- Rava Kesari – Rava Kesari is the sweet dish prepared from semolina, ghee, dry fruits, and Kesar. Other variations of Rava Kesari are Pineapple, Banana, etc.
- Mangalorean Biryani – Mangalorean Biryani is the exclusive dish of Karnataka prepared with coconut, cardamom, clove, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, and dry red chili.
- Kane Rava Fry – Kane Rava Fry is the authentic dish of Karnataka prepared with Ladyfish dipped in red chili paste, then coated with semolina and then fried it. This dish is the coastal delicacy and famous among the fish-lovers.
- Udupi Sambar – Udupi Sambar is the first dish of the meal prepared with tomato and tamarind water having aromatic spices. This dish is served before meals or with South Indian Thali.
- Mysore Bonda – Mysore Bonda is prepared with maida and yogurt. It can also be prepared with urad dal and served with coconut chutney and sambar.
- Sagu – Sagu is a creamy vegetable curry of coconut, spices, and poppy seeds. It is eaten with dosa or roti.
- Jolada Rotti – Jolada Rotti is a flatbread prepared with jowar flour and salt, and cooked on an iron skillet. This dish is served with eggplant stuffed with spices or chutney. Other variations of Roti in Karnataka are Akki Roti Ragi Roti.
- Ragi Mudde – Ragi Mudde is the staple food of Karnataka that consists of only two ingredients, ragi flour, and water. This dish is served with Saaru or curry.
- Khara Pongal – Pongal can either be sweet or spicy. Khara Pongal is a spicy dish prepared with equal proportions of rice and moong dal. It is a healthy dish that provides protein and carbohydrates.
- Chitranna – Chitranna is a famous dish of Karnataka cuisine. Chitranna is prepared with flattened rice, a variety of vegetables, and a flavor of lemon.
- Tatte Idli – Tatte Idli is the variation of steamed rice cakes prepared from fermented batter of black lentils and rice, and served with chutney and sambar. Other variations of Idli in Karnataka are Rava Idli and Muday Idli.
- Chiroti – Chiroti is a traditional sweet dish of Karnataka prepared with the layered dough of maida, fried, and cardamom sugar on it. This dish has many versions also, such as Flaky Peni and Mandige.
- Maddur Vada – Maddur Vada is a type of doughnut prepared with flour, onion, semolina, spices. This dish is a popular fried snack of Karnataka cuisine.
- Pori Urundai – Pori Urundai is a sweet dish prepared with puffed rice and jaggery. It is served with a cup of tea or coffee as a snack.
All these are famous dishes in Karnataka. So, try out all the dishes whenever you visit Karnataka.