Causes, Symptoms, and Prevention of Sciatica Pain
10 months ago
Generally, we see people visit orthopedician when they suffer from back pain. Sometimes, sciatica pain is misunderstood with back pain. But if we study, sciatica pain is not limited to back only, it affects buttocks, down the legs, ending just below the knee. Sciatica pain occurs whenever any irritation occurs in the sciatic nerve. Sciatica nerve being the longest nerve in the human body goes through buttocks, legs below the knee.
Dr. Amit Saini, Orthopedician at Sapra Multispecialty Hospital informs that Sciatica pain can be mild to severe and makes a person unable in standing, sitting, walking and sleeping. He explained the cause of sciatica as when any irritation or disturbance comes in the lower lumbar and lumbosacral spine, sciatica pain arises.
The sciatica pain causes may include
1. Lumbar herniated disc: according to a study research, 90 percent of sciatica pain is caused by a lumbar herniated disc. The herniated disc typically compresses one or more spinal nerve roots (L4-S3) that form the sciatic nerve. It can cause sciatica pain in two ways: Direct compression and chemical inflammation.
2. Degeneration of tissues: Degenerated intervertebral discs may secrete inflammatory proteins, causing inflammation of the sciatic nerve.
3. Spondylolisthesis: a condition in which one spine vertebrae slips over another one which causes pain.
4. Muscle strains and sprains
5. Narrowing of the spinal canal in the lower back, a condition known as lumbar spinal stenosis.
6. Sometimes, obesity, less physical activity and sleeping postures can also cause sciatica pain.
Symptoms of Sciatica pain
Sciatica pain as the name indicates the pain in sciatica nerve which captures lower back, buttocks, goes till the toe and foot of either leg. Numbness and sensation in either leg or both legs for a short period or may extend to a longer period. The pain can be mild to severe.
Relief from Sciatica pain
Certain exercises and treatment plans are there that may help you in getting relief from Sciatica pain.
1. Over the counter painkillers
2. Some stretches are there which help in reducing the pain are knees to chest, cobra stretch, seated hip stretch, standing hamstring stretch, knee to shoulder and many more.
3. Ice: Icing the area for a few minutes several times a day
4. Prevention of sciatica isn’t always possible. However, some modifications to the lifestyle can significantly help reduce the risk of a person experiencing sciatica again. Regular exercise and building a strong body can in general help prevent sciatica. In addition, it is important to maintain a good posture while sitting and standing and may make people less likely to develop sciatica than those with poor posture.
Consult an expert orthopedician in Hissar if you think you may be suffering from the sciatica pain. An orthopedist will have to perform a thorough physical examination and perform tests to make sure you don’t suffer from anything else before starting the treatment.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for a qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. Jugaadin.com does not claim responsibility for this information.