International Men’s Day 2019: When and why it is celebrated?
2 years ago
International Men’s Day i.e. World Men’s Day is celebrated every year on 19 November i.e. today. We all know the answer to the question as to when is international women’s day celebrated i.e. on 8 March. But when asked about INTERNATIONAL MEN’S DAY 2019, very few people will know the answer.
The day of 19 November is celebrated as International Men’s Day in more than 60 countries. It started in 1998 in Trinidad and Tobago. Dr. Jerome Teelucksingh took the initiative to give a name to the contribution of men in life. International Men’s Day is celebrated on his father’s birthday. The theme for 2019 International Men’s day is “Making a Difference for Men and Boys”.
International Men’s Day coincides with Movember, where men grow their facial hair in an effort to promote mental health, preventing suicide and awareness about prostate and testicular cancer.
According to the website of international men’s day, the 6 proposed objectives or pillars of international Men’s Day include
1. To promote positive male role models; not just movie stars and sportsmen but every day, working-class men who are living decent, honest lives.
2. To celebrate men’s positive contributions to society, community, family, marriage, childcare, and to the environment.
3. To focus on men’s health and wellbeing; social, emotional, physical and spiritual.
4. To highlight discrimination against men; in areas of social services, social attitudes and expectations, and law
5. To improve gender relations and promote gender equality
6. To create a safer, better world; where people can be safe and grow to reach their full potential.