Dehradun: A Doon valley Destination
2 years ago
Dehradun, the capital city of Devbhoomi Uttarakhand, is a famous tourist hill destination of India. Dehradun ranges from the Ganges in the east to the Yamuna River in the west. Dehradun is situated in the Garhwal Himalayas in the state of Uttarakhand. Dehradun is located at an altitude of 1400 feet above sea level and near Dehradun, Mussoorie is another tourist spot of India which attracts a lot of travellers.
Dehradun is situated in a beautiful valley called Doon Valley. The name of Dehradun city is made up of two different words “Dehra” and “Doon”. Dehra means home and Doon means the valley between the Himalayas and the Shivaliks. The city of Dehradun is known for its unique lifestyle, beautiful surroundings, and prestigious educational institutions. The Forest Research Institute (only institution of its kind in Asia), headquarters of the Oil and Natural Commission, Survey of India, and the Military Academy are some of the main highlighting institutions of Dehradun. Travelers in search of adventurous activities with a peaceful environment visit Dehradun.
There are many beautiful places to visit in Dehradun:
1. Sahastradhara: Sahastradhara located at a distance of 11 km from Dehradun is a picnic spot and attracts every tourist. Sahastradhara, a word combination of two words Sahastra means a thousand and Dhara means spring. Sahastradhara has some medicinal value also. It is believed water that falls from limestone caves contains sulfur that can cure many skin diseases. The place can be visited any time during the year but its charm is unique in monsoon as it is surrounded by lush green vegetation of Himalayas. Thus make it a perfectly picturesque place.
2. Tapekshwar Temple: A religious place situated 5.5 km from the city is a place of worship for all. Tapkeshwar means water droplets, originating from a rock, falls on the Shivling placed in the shrine. Every year a large fair organized on the shrine at the time of Shivratri.
3. Rober’s cave: An adventurous tourist spot in Dehradun formed naturally. Robber’s Cave is a river water cave formed in the Himalayas. This is a natural formation having river water flowing from the middle of a cave. The beauty of the place is mesmerizing.
4. Malsi Deer Park: It’s just 10km away from Dehradun on Mussoorie- Dehradun route. Deer Park is a beautiful tourist spot in the foothills of the Shivalik range. Malsi Deer Park is a mini-zoological park surrounded by stunning natural surroundings.
5. Trekking in Dehradun: Trekkers love to visit Dehradun as trekking is one of the most liked activity among travelers. There are many treks like Nag Tibba Trek, Chakrata Trek, Har Ki Dun Trek, George Everest trek, and many more.
Dehradun visiting time: Dehradun is a retreat for travelers that can be visited at any time of year. The destination is located in the state of Uttarakhand and is one of the top hills stops to visit in India. The best season for a trip to Dehradun is the summer season when the weather is good. In monsoon and the autumn season, tourists can visit but winters are a little bit colder than surrounding areas.
Reaching to Dehradun: Dehradun is well connected through roads, railways, and Airways from all major cities of India, thus reaching Dehradun is easy. Jolly Grant Airport, the nearest airport to Dehradun has flights from all cities of India and the Dehradun railway junction is also accessible from every part of India.