Career in Company Secretary (CS): A complete guide
2 years ago
Company Secretary (CS) is the most popular career choices among commerce students. A career in company secretary is not only esteem and financially rewarding but also provides high-level job satisfaction.
Who is Company Secretary
Company Secretary (CS) is one of the principal posts in a company and plays an important role in the functioning of a corporate firm. A certified Company Secretary is hired to handle the legal aspects of a firm, to manage the internal affairs of the company, and he is responsible to gain the confidence of the stakeholders. In India the CS course is offered by, The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI). This isthe only recognized professional body in India to regulate and develop the profession of Company Secretaries. To become a professional Company Secretary, an individual has to complete three levels of examination and training, set by the ICSI. The CS course is the perfect mix of academic programs and practical training. A company secretary professional can get lucrative jobs in the corporate world.
CS Eligibility Criteria
- After Class 12, students of commerce or science stream can register for the CS Foundation course. Fine arts stream students are not allowed to register for the ICSI Foundation course.
- Graduate and postgraduate students (excluding fine arts students) can directly enroll for the Executive Programme and Professional Programme.
Stages of CS
1.CS Foundation Program
Students after clearing 12 can apply for the CS foundation course. The duration of the CS foundation course is eight months. Students are required to pass the foundation examination within three years from the date of their admission.
Syllabus of CS Foundation exam
• English and Business Communication
• Basic Economics and Business Environment
• Financial Accounting
• Elements of Business Laws and Management
• Information Systems and Quantitative Techniques
2. CS Executive Program
After completion of the CS foundation course, students need to register for CS Executive course. Graduates and post-graduates (excluding fine arts students) can directly register for the executive program without going for the foundation course. There are two groups in CS executive program.
Syllabus of CS Executive Program
• General and Commercial Laws
• Company Accounts and Cost & Management Accounting
• Tax Laws
• Management Information Systems and Corporate Communication
• Company Law
• Company Secretarial Practice
• Economic, Labour, and Industrial Laws
• Securities Laws and Regulation of Financial Markets
3. CS Professional Program
The Professional Program of the company secretary course provides training on a wide variety of specialized subjects. Professional Program is divided into three groups.
Syllabus of CS Professional Program:
• Advanced Company Law and Practice
• Secretarial Practice relating to Economic Laws and Drafting and Conveyance
• Secretarial Management and Systems Audit
• Financial, Treasury and Forex Management
• Corporate Restructuring-Law and Practice
• Banking and Insurance-Law and Practice
• WTO-International Trade, Joint Ventures, and Foreign Collaborations
• Direct and Indirect Taxation-Law and Practice
• Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations
Company Secretary Training
CS Training is an important aspect of the CS course. Students must undergo short-term training programs during the intermediate level and 15 months of practical training after completing the executive or professional level examination to obtain an Associate Membership of ICSI. These short term training improve student’s communication skills, management skills that help in developing personality, provide practical exposure, and give valuable insight into the working of the corporate sector.
- Student Induction Training Program( SIP): SIP is of 7 days Program that is pursued within six months of Registration in Executive Program.
- Compulsory computer training program: it is a70 hours duration training that is compulsory to attend to be eligible for the Executive Program Examination.
- Executive Development Program (EDP): EDP is an 8 days program that must be pursued after passing the executive program and before starting 15-month training.
- Professional Development Programme (PDP): PDP is 25 hours of training that should be pursued during the 15-month training.
- Professional Training: this is a long time 15 months training that is pursued after passing the Executive or Professional Programme. Training must be done with companies registered with the ICSI Institute or under a Company Secretary Practicing independently.
- Practical Training: It is pursued only after the candidate has passed the professional program and a student who is free from undergoing 12 months of training under Company Secretaries Regulations, 1982, needs to pursue 3 months of practical training.
- Specialized Agency Training: This is a 15 days training that is pursued after completing a clearing professional program, EDP, SIP, EDP, and completing 15-month training. This training is to be pursued at Registrar of Companies (ROC), stock exchange, Financial and Banking Institution, or Management Consultancy Firm.
- Management Skill Orientation Programme (MSOP): Candidates who have been fully or partially exempted from training and submitted documents required to fulfill 1982 regulation, they need to pursue 15 days of MSOP Training. This training can be pursued only after clearing professional program exams, EDP, and 15-month training.
Company Secretary Job Profiles
After completing the CS course a candidate can apply for many job Profiles:
- Assistance to the Board of Directors
- Company Registrar
- Legal Advisor
- Corporate Policymaker
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Principal Secretary
- Corporate Planner
- Managing Director
- Administrative Assistant
- Administrative Secretary
- Investor Capital Market Relations
- Contents Coordinator
Top Recruiting Companies for Company Secretary
- Oil India Limited
- Jaypee Group
- Punjab National Bank Ltd
- Bestech India Pvt Ltd
- HLC Technologies Ltd
Company Secretary Salary
company secretary in India gets an average INR 3,00,000 per year as salary with a small and medium scale enterprise, With larger organizations, this salary goes up to INR 5,00,000 per annum. However with a timely experience company secretaries easily get around a salary between INR 8,00,000 to INR 1.5 million per annum.
Advantages of becoming CS
- The market demand for the company secretary is rising and gaining popularity among youngsters who want to enter the corporate world.
- There is a massive growth opportunity in this profession along with good remuneration.
Disadvantages of Becoming CS
- ICSI course is not recognized much outside India.
- The responsibilities and roles associated with the CS position are highly accountable and visible, there is constant pressure on company secretaries to deliver results.
A Career in company secretary (CS) is one of the most prestigious, high-growing, and rewarding career options for anyone.