Union Sports Ministry to establish 143 new Khelo India centers across seven states
1 year ago
On Monday, the Union Sports Ministry approved the establishment of 143 Khelo India Centres in seven states, with a budget estimate of Rs 14.30 crores. The centers will be established in Maharashtra, Mizoram, Goa, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, and Manipur, and would cater to one sports discipline each.
In June 2020, the Sports Ministry announced a plan to open up to 1,000 new Khelo India Centres over a four-year period, with at least one in each district of the country. The North-East states, including Jammu and Kashmir, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, and Ladakh, are scheduled to have two centers per district.
Former athletes will be hired by the individual state governments to help administer these centers as part of a projected low-cost and effective sports training institute. Financial support will be offered for past champion athletes’ salaries, purchase of equipment, sports kits, consumables, and participation in competitions and events.
Speaking about the decision, Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Kiren Rijiju said, “It is our endeavour to make India one among the top 10 countries in the 2028 Olympics. To fulfill this goal we need to identify and nurture a large number of talented sportspersons from an early age. With the availability of good coaches and equipment facilities at the district-level Khelo India Centers, I am confident that we will be able to find the right children for the right sport and at the right time.”
The Sports Ministry, in collaboration with state governments, has launched the Khelo India Centres to ensure the availability of grassroots-level sports infrastructure across the country.
The States-wise bifurcation includes:
1. Maharashtra – Opening of 36 Khelo India Centres in 30 districts with a budget estimate of Rs. 3.60 Crores.
2. Mizoram – Opening of 2 Khelo India Centres in Kolasib district with a budget estimate of Rs. 20 Lakhs.
3. Arunachal Pradesh- Opening of 52 Khelo India Centres in 26 districts with a budget estimate of Rs 4.12 Crores.
4. Madhya Pradesh – Opening of 4 Khelo India Centres with a budget estimate of Rs 40 Lakhs.
5. Karnataka – Opening of 31 Khelo India Centres with a budget estimate of Rs. 3.10 Crores.
6. Manipur – Opening of 16 Khelo India Centres with a budget estimate of Rs. 1.60 Crores.
7. Goa – Opening of 2 Khelo India Centres with a budget estimate of Rs. 20 Lakhs.