Career in E-commerce: career scope, jobs, salary, courses
2 years ago
As the world is getting digitalized, a career in E-Commerce offers a bright future with well-paid salary packages, and an option to work from home.
What is E-Commerce?
In simple language, E-commerce and Electronic Commerce is the process of buying and selling of products and services using the digital platform. B2B, B2C, C2C, C2B, and E-commerce portals are various types of E-commerce. E-commerce helps companies in expanding their market to national and international levels with minimum investments. Another major benefit of e-commerce applications is having numerous options for a particular product and hassle-free delivery of products to customers. Its reach is more and offers 24×7 support to the customers. Also Read about commerce stream after class 10th.
E-commerce Career Scope
According to the reports shared by the IAMAI (Internet and Mobile Association of India) that India’s e-commerce sector is likely to witness a growth of around 50% in the next five years. The majority of population in India uses smartphone, and are effectively engaged in online marketing. The main reason for the rise of the e-commerce sector in India is due to the rapid growth of online marketing. There are many job profiles in the E-commerce sector. As we have entered the digital age, a career in the e-commerce industry is one of the best career options that can be chosen by students for their future.
Career Path in E-commerce
The students who are interested to choose a career in e-commerce can go with four career paths:
- Creative path: This field includes companies based on branding, customer experience, and marketing.
- Management path: this field includes supply chain, category management, inventory products, logistics, and warehouse.
- Financial path: This field includes requires financial skills and one may pursue their career in fields such as account handling, legal, HR, and financial prospects of a business.
- Technical path: this field includes web developer, front end and back end executives, IT consultant, and Technical Support.
Skills Required in E-commerce Career
- Good knowledge of the Internet.
- Working knowledge of website creation applications such as Photoshop, CorelDraw, Fireworks, etc.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- E-commerce and Online Business concepts and processes
- Knowledge of business Management.
- strategic planning and study system analysis
Courses & Eligibility
There are many courses in the e-commerce sector offered by colleges and universities across India. These courses include B.com, MBA, & diploma level programs. The most opted courses by students in E-commerce are:
- B.Com in E-Commerce
- Bachelor of Science in E-business
Let’s study in detail about the B.com In E-commerce:
B.Com. in E-Commerce is a 3-year Bachelor’s course that combines the principles of Accounting with E-commerce. B.Com. in E-Commerce is a modernized course designed to focus on technology-based transactions of money, services, information, and goods.
Eligibility for B.com in E-commerce
Candidates who want to apply for B.com E-commerce course need to fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria:
- Senior Secondary (10+2) qualification, preferably in the Commerce stream, from a recognized educational Board.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% and 45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates at the 10+2 level.
- Accounts, Economics, Business Studies, as the main subjects of study at the 10+2 level.
- Candidates awaiting their 10+2 examination results are also eligible to apply on a provisional basis.
- The admission process varies from college to college, many colleges conduct their entrance test and offer admission based onthe entrance exam score.
Salary package after B.com in E-commerce: an average starting salary INR 3-6 Lacs
- MBA in E-Commerce Management
- MSc in E-Commerce
- MSc in Information Technology & E-Commerce
- MSc in E-Commerce & Web Design
- PGPM in E-Commerce Management
Let’s study in Detail about MBA in E-commerce Management:
An MBA in E-commerce is a 2-year duration course. The benefit of earning a degree in an MBA in e-commerce helps in understanding the latest marketing and business strategy in online marketing, with an additional focus on administrative study. Various contents of this program include supply chain management, advertising, and sales promotion, Marketing research, and Strategic management. Also read about MBA Specializations
Eligibility for MBA in E-commerce
- The candidate should have scored at least 50% in Higher and Senior secondary school.
- The candidate should have a full-time Bachelor’s degree for at least 3 years with an aggregate of at least 50% (Some Colleges prefer minimum 60%)
- The candidate should clear CAT or CMAT or any other national/domestic management entrance exam that is specific to the college or university.
Salary Package after MBA in E-commerce:
A freshly graduated in the E-commerce sector can expect an average remuneration of 3.2 Lac. Candidates with experience between 2 years and less than 5 years of experience are paid around Rs 4 to 10 Lac.
Diploma & Certificate Courses:
- Diploma in E-Commerce
- Certification in E-commerce
- Advanced Diploma in E-Commerce
- PG Diploma in E-Commerce & Web Technologies
Best Colleges to Study E-commerce
- Indian Institute of E-commerce- Bengaluru
- Institute of Business Management Studies- Mumbai
- Institute of Advance Network Technology- Gujarat
- Xavier Institute of Management- Bhubhaneshwar
- St. Xavier’s College- Kolkata
- L.N. WelingkarInstitue of Management Development and Research- Mumbai
- Lovely Professional University- Jalandhar
- Indian Institute of Information Technology- Allahabad
- Alliance University- Bangalore
- Devi AhilyaVishwavidyalaya: Institute of Management Vishwavidyalaya- Indore
- HDFC Bank
- Supply Chain Manager
- E-commerce Consultant
- Advertising and Promotion Manager
- Project manager
- Database administrator
- Business analyst
- Website development
- Customer Relation
- ManagerFinance manager
A career in E-commerce has come out as a promising sector that offers good opportunities to job seekers with a successful future.