World Philosophy Day 2019
10 months ago
On every third Thursday of November, World Philosophy Day is observed. This year, World Philosophy day is being celebrated on 21st November. The first philosophy Day was observed in the year 2005 by UNESCO. According to the UN, Philosophy is termed as the study of the nature of reality and existence, knowing what is right and wrong behavior. Philosophy comes from the Greek word phílosophía, meaning ‘the love of wisdom.
According to the website of the UN(United Nations), the world philosophy day has the following objectives:
1. to renew the national, subregional, regional and international commitment to philosophy;
2. to foster philosophical analysis, research, and studies on major contemporary issues, so as to respond more effectively to the challenges that are confronting humanity today;
3. to raise public awareness of the importance of philosophy and its critical use in the choices arising for many societies from the effects of globalization or entry into modernity;
4. to appraise the state of philosophy teaching throughout the world, with special emphasis on unequal access;
5. to underline the importance of the universalization of philosophy teaching for future generations
The aim of World Philosophy Day 2019 is to highlight the importance of philosophy in different regional contexts.