12 COLLEGES FOR FASHION DESIGNING IN INDIA
1 month ago
A course in fashion designing is considered as one of the most thrilling and educative courses due to the plethora of career opportunities it offers in the design field. It entails a vast spectrum such as the foundation of clothing, patternmaking, tailoring, graphics, and portfolio development so as to increase their experience and competitiveness of students. Students are provided with extensive knowledge as well as exposure to the design field. Various real-time projects such as garment creation, textile design, jewelry making, equip them well about the fundamentals of fashion designing. Various colleges across India fulfill the dual purpose of hands-on projects for creative designing along with a good amount of industry exposure. Here we have listed the top 20 colleges across India for students aspiring to take up Fashion Designing as their career path.
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FASHION DESIGN, DELHI– Popularly known as NIFT, it offers varied courses for under graduation and post-graduation in textile, apparel, design, graphics. It has been repeated ranked on the list of top 10 colleges in India. Aspiring candidates are eligible for the admission procedure only if they have completed their 10+2 from a recognized board. The admission criteria are on the basis of marks obtained in the NIFT entrance test. The admission process varies for different courses.
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FASHION DESIGN, MUMBAI- It was established in the year 1995 and has been consisted ranked among the 15 colleges for Fashion Designing across India. The infrastructure of the college is such that furnishes the requirements of various design courses such as textiles lab, visual merchandizing lab, garment construction lab etc. The eligibility criteria are 10+2 from a recognized board and admission is strictly on the basis of NIFT entrance test.
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FASHION DESIGN, BENGALURU- It is among the premier institutes in India for Fashion Design. It was established in 1997 and offers diverse courses in design, visual merchandising etc for UG and PG. The eligibility criteria are 10+2 from a recognized board and admission is strictly on the basis of the NIFT entrance test.
- PEARL ACADEMY, DELHI- Established in 1994, it offers numerous courses for aspiring students in under -graduation and post-graduation in design, media, fashion and retail industry. The institute has four schools- School of Design, Fashion, Contemporary Business and New Age Business. So, the students can choose according to their field of interest. The eligibility criteria for students is completing 10+2 from any recognized board. Admission is strictly on the basis of Pearl Academy Entrance Test followed by personal interview.
- SYMBIOSIS INSTITUTE OF DESIGN, PUNE- It was established in the year 2003 as a design college in India. It primarily offers Bachelor’s in Design (B.Des) for four major specializations namely Communication Design, Industrial Design, Fashion Design, and Fashion Communication. The eligibility criteria for aspiring students are clearing 10+2 from any recognized stream with a minimum of 50% aggregate. The admission process for B. Des is based on the performance of the student in the entrance test.
- AMITY SCHOOL OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY, NOIDA– Established in the year 2006, ASFT has been listed amongst the top 5 fashion schools in India. It caters to the professional requirements for aspiring candidates by providing courses in the field of Design, Technology & Management of fashion, textile and apparel industry. Admission to various courses for UG and PG, is granted on basis of merit in the entrance test followed by personal interview.
- JD INSTITUTE OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY, BENGALURU- It is most of the oldest and premier institutes for the field of design and fashion as it was established in the year 1988. It provides diverse courses for diploma, advance diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate education in the field of design, Jewelry Design, Apparel Design, Fashion communication and numerous other courses. Admission criteria for UG courses is based on the merit obtained by the students in class 12.
- ARMY INSTITUTE OF FASHION AND DESIGN, BENGALURU- Established in the year 2004, the university majorly focusses to inculcate in students a comprehensive sense of working in the design, textiles, garments and IT field. It is determined towards integrating designing skills with managerial talents. Aspiring students are required to clear 10+2 for any recognized board in order to be eligible for the admission process. Admission is based on the performance of the students in the entrance test.
- NORTHERN INDIA INSTITUTE OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY, MOHALI- Commonly known as NIIFT, was one of the leading fashion universities in India. Since it’s establishment in the year 1995, it has been determined in providing quality education and exposure to the students in design, fashion, and textile designing. Some of the major courses offered here are Bachelors in Design (B. Des), Bachelors in Fashion Technology (B.FTech), M. Des, M.Ftech etc. Admission procedure in based on the student’s performance in the NIIFT joint entrance examination.
- NEHRU COLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCE- Established in the year 1988, it is one of the oldest institutes providing courses in fashion and design for aspiring candidates. It equips the students with fundamental knowledge and skill set which are demanded by potential recruiters. They provide under-graduation in B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion. Eligibility criteria is clearing 10+2 specifically in the science stream with a minimum of 50% aggregate.
- T JOHN UNIVERSITY, BANGALORE- Since in the year 1993, it has been consistent in its efforts to provide aspiring candidates quality education and exposure. It aims to acquaint the students with an education equivalent to global standards by providing hands-on experience on various projects. The courses offered here are B.sc in Fashion and Apparel Designing.
- PEARL ACAMEDY, NOIDA, – It falls within the six campuses spread across India for providing courses in Fashion and Design to students. It offers various courses to aspiring students at UG and PG level in Design, Fashion, Media, and Business. The eligibility criteria for students is completing 10+2 from any recognized board. Admission is strictly on the basis of Pearl Academy Entrance Test followed by personal interview.
These colleges have been consistently ranked amongst the top universities for fashion and design across India. They offer in-depth knowledge in fashion designing at Bachelor’s and Master’s levels. But it is important to put across that apart from performing well in academics, a passion for design, creative thinking, and artistic fashion skills is a must to excel in this industry. Hope this list helps you in choosing your dream college. All the best!