Simple ways to overcome Memory loss
1 year ago
When any information is received by our brain, it is encoded and get stored in our memory for future purposes. A memory is called strong when it receives external stimuli, it retrieves information from past experiences and influences future actions like we have not seen someone from last many years but after listening to his name if we are able to picture his image, shows strong memory. Memory loss can occur at any stage of life. It is not associated with the age factor only. It is not a disease that is not able to cure. With simple techniques to follow in day to day, life can improve or charge the memory system.
- The things we don’t use become useless for us. This context is the same for our mind and memory also. If we don’t use it, it will lose its power of understanding and recall. So, a person should always quest for learning new things that are out of their comfort zone. When the brain tends to learn new things and activities, our memory will become strong.
- Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise is a true saying. Having good sleep of 8-10 hrs will prepare the mind for new things. With sound sleep, a healthy diet is also necessary. A healthy diet includes fruits, vegetables, and omega-3 rich foods. Omega -3 is considered to be beneficial for brain health in some researches. The use of tea, coffee should be limited.
3. Try to organize the large data into small form by using memory tools called mnemonic devices. These devices create just an easy form to learn things.
Acronym: An acronym is a word that is made up by taking the first letters of all the keywords to remember. Like RAM is used for Random Access Memory.
Visualization: It means to give an image format to the information we want to store.
Chunking: It means breaking the large information into small chunks. Basically used for remembering the numbers.
Different people have different learning styles and they maintain their own format to store information.
4. Playing mind games like Sudoku, word puzzles and crossword will enhance the memory as they brainstorm the mind to get the information.
5. Repeating, organizing, and grouping of things and activities will enhance the memory skills. Repeating means doing things from time to time to make them permanent stay on our minds. Disorganization leads to stress so organized the data into that form which is suitable for you. Grouping means to keep the same things in one bag. When going to market, group the things to buy under different categories like fruits, vegetables, general items, etc.
6. Physical exercises are as important as mental exercises. It will increase the oxygen supply to the brain and reduce the loss of memory. Exercises that require hand and foot muscle co-ordination, are best for building brain health. Other activities like swimming, jogging, walking, rock climbing will help in brain and memory boosting.
7. And last but not least is, spending time with our loved ones, friends and family members will keep stress at aback. And when stress is less, the memory will be strong. When there is no clutter in the mind, then the things that we have learned will always remain on our minds.