Simple ways to overcome Memory loss
2 months ago
When any information is received by our brain, it is encoded and get stored in our memory for future purpose. A memory is called strong when it receives an external stimuli, it retrieves information from the past experiences and influence the future actions like we have not seen someone from last many years but after listening his name if we are able to picturize his image, shows strong memory. The memory loss can occur at any stage of life. It is not associated with age factor only. It is not a disease that is not able to cure. With simple techniques to follow in day to day life can improve or charge the memory system.
- The things we don’t use become useless for us. This context is same for our mind and memory also. If we don’t use it, it will lose its power of understanding and recalling. So, a person should always quest for learning new things that are out of their comfort zone. When brain tends to learn new things and activities, our memory will become strong .
- Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise is a true saying. Having good sleep of 8-10 hrs will prepare the mind for new things. With sound sleep, healthy diet is also necessary. Healthy diet includes fruits, vegetables and omega-3 rich foods. Omega -3 is considered to be beneficial for brain health in some researches. Use of tea, coffee should be limited.
3. Try to organize the large data into small form by using memory tools called mnemonic devices. These devices create just an easy form to learn the things.
Acronym : An acronym is a word that is made up by taking the first letters of all the key words to remember. Like RAM is used for Random Access Memory.
Visualization: It means to give an image format to the information we want to store.
Chunking: It means breaking the large information into small chunks. Basically used for remembering the numbers.
Different people have different learning styles and they maintain their own format to store information.
4. Playing mind games like Sudoku, word puzzles and crossword will enhance the memory as they brainstorm the mind to get the information.
5. Repeating, organizing and grouping of things and activities will enhance the memory skills. Repeating means to repeat the things from time to time to make them permanent stay on our mind. Disorganization leads to stress so organized the data into that form which is suitable for you. Grouping means keep the same things in one bag. When going to market, group the things to buy under different categories like fruits, vegetables, general item etc.
6. Physical exercises are as important as mental exercises. It will increase the oxygen supply to brain and reduce the loss of memory. Exercises that require hand and foot muscles co-ordination, are best for building brain health. Other activities like swimming, jogging, walking, rock climbing will help in brain and memory boosting.
7. And last but not the least is, spending time with our loved ones, friends and family members will keep stress at aback. And when stress is less, memory will be strong. When there is no clutter in the mind, then the things that we have learnt will always remain on our mind.