National Youth Day 2020: Get inspiration from the teachings of Swami Vivekananda
2 months ago
January 12, the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda commemorated every year as National Youth Day (Yuva Diwas). This year January 12, 2020, Sunday will be celebrated as National Youth Day. The first National Youth day was celebrated in the year 1985. It was decided by the Indian Government in the year 1984 to celebrate the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda as Youth Day.
Born on 12 January 1863 at Calcutta in the West Bengal, Vivekananda was the son of Viswanath Datta and Bhubaneswari Devi. He laid the path of truth and religion at the tender age of 25 under Guru Ram Krishan Paramhanas Ji. To inspire all the youths of the country towards the philosophy of Swami Vivekananda and his ideals, his birth anniversary was started to celebrate as National Youth Day.
Swami Vivekananda gave five formulas for character building to the youth, self-confidence, self-sacrifice, self-restraint, self-reliance, and self-knowledge. There is no doubt that Swami Vivekananda gave recognition to Indian culture at the national and international stage, that’s why the United Nations in the Year 1985 declared as International Youth Year. Swami Vivekananda is considered as a real source of inspiration and motivation for Youth.
How National Youth Day is Celebrated
On the National Youth day, various types of programs are held in schools and colleges across the country. Apart from this, on the occasion of the birthday of Swami Vivekananda, many programs are organized to enrich Indian culture and tradition in the centers of Ramakrishna Mission spread across the country and Belur Math.
Some teachings and principles of Swami Vivekananda are:
1. Strength, strength it is that we want so much in this life, for what we call sin and sorrow have all one cause, and that is our weakness. With weakness comes ignorance, and with ignorance comes misery.
2. Whatever you think, that you will be. If you think yourselves weak, weak you will be; if you think yourselves strong, strong you will be.
3. Purity, patience, and perseverance are the three essentials to success, and above all, love.
4. We want that education by which character is formed, the strength of mind is increased, the intellect is expanded, and by which one can stand on one’s own feet.
5. If you have faith in all the three hundred and thirty million of your mythological gods, … and still have no faith in yourselves, there is no salvation for you. Have faith in yourselves, and stand up on that faith and be strong; that is what we need.