Food of Uttarakhand – 16 famous dishes of Uttarakhand
8 months ago
Uttarakhand is known for its mesmerizing natural beauty and delicious food it offers. The rich natural diversity, climatic conditions, availability of edible plants, and spices all are the factors that make food of the State unique.
The traditional cuisine of Uttarakhand is rich in nutrients and Vitamins. From the main course to sweet dishes, every dish of Uttarakhand is different in one or other form.
Let’s discuss the famous food of Uttarakhand that can make you satiate.
- Kafuli – Kafuli is the most famous and nutritious food of Uttarakhand. It is prepared in an iron kadhai and made from spinach and fenugreek leaves. It is served with steamed rice.
- Bhang ki Chutney – Bhang ki Chutney is prepared from Hemp Seeds and added to enhance the taste of Uttarakhand cuisines.
- Garhwal ka Fannah – Garhwal ka Fannah is the famous dish in Mussoorie of Uttarakhand state. Garwal ka Fannah is made on every festival and occasion in Uttarakhand.
- Phaanu – Phaanu is the famous dish of the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand. It is prepared by mixing different varieties of lentils. It is a type of soupy dish that has unique flavor and generally served with rice.
- Baadi – Baadi is simple yet most nutritious dish of Uttarakhand. This dish is rich in all the essential nutrients, Vitamin B12, and Vitamin A.
- Kandalee ka Saag – Kandalee ka Saag is basically a green leafy vegetable curry that is one of the most popular dishes of Uttarakhand cuisine. It is prepared in an ordinary way like all other vegetables. Kandalee ka Saag is also known as “Bicchu Ghas”. This dish is also rich in nutrients.
- Chainsoo – Chainsoo is a famous Garhwal dish that is made from Urad Dal. It has an earthy flavor and gives a tough competition to Punjabi’s Maaki Dal.
- Kumaoni Raita – Kumaoni Raita is prepared from curd, cucumber, and turmeric. Served with every other cuisine of Uttarakhand. This dish enhances the taste of the food.
- Dubuk – Dubuk is one of the best dishes of Uttarakhand. It’s a Dal and served with steamed rice. It is the normal delicacy that is best to eat during winters.
- Jhangora ki Kheer – Jhangora ki Kheer is one of the best sweet dish of Uttarakhand. Jhangora is the main ingredient of the dessert that is a type of millet. This dish has a rich texture and provides goodness of milk.
- Gulgula – Gulgula is the delicious sweet of Uttarakhand, originated in the Garhwal region. It is a local snack made of jaggery and a famous dish of the Uttarakhand.
- Arsa – Arsa is the most popular dessert in the Uttarakhand. No festival or occasion is complete without Arsa.
- Singori – Singori is a sweet dish made with Khoa and wrapped in a Maalu leaf. It is a cone-shaped sweet found in Almora, the Kumaon region of Uttarakhand.
- Thhatwani – Thhatwani is the soup dish having a mixture of rice paste, lentils, and pulses. Pulses are soaked overnight in water then boiled, and cooked with spices, herbs, and masala in an iron kadhai. This dish is rich in proteins and served with steamed rice.
- Aloo Gutuk – Aloo Gutuk is the traditional dish of Uttarakhand made from boiled potatoes, garnished with coriander and red chilies. It is served with Bhang ki Chutney, Poori, and Kamaoni Raita.
- Aloo ka Jhol – Aloo ka Jhol is a potato recipe having thin gravy and served with poori or roti. It is also known by its various names such as Aloo rasedaar, poori bhaji, poori masala, Mathura ke dubki wale aloo, etc.
All these are the famous food of Uttarakhand having unique flavour and aroma. So, try out these dishes of Uttarakhand when you get a chance and satisfy your taste buds.