Food of Assam – 11 famous food of Assam
8 months ago
Assam has a delicious collection of culinary jewels. Assam food is all about minimizing waste. The main ingredients of Assam food are natural vegetables and Khaar.
Assamese cuisine has different cooking techniques using local herbs and aromatic spices. Mostly food item of Assam are boiled and steamed that makes them extremely nutritious and wholesome.
Here are some famous foods of Assam cuisine –
- Khaar – Khaar is the traditional Assamese dish prepared with pulses, vegetables, fish, or meat. Khaar is an ingredient, as well as a dish. Khaar is the basic ingredient obtained from a solution of water and dried banana peel.
- Duck Meat Curry – Duck Meat Curry is a special dish of Assam served during occasions and festivals. This dish is prepared with Ash Gourd or can also be cooked with sesame, pumpkin, lentil, and more.
- Maasor Tenga – Maasor Tenga is a spicy and tangy fish curry prepared with tomato, dried mangosteen, lemon, raw mango, elephant-apple, and usually served with rice. It is prepared during lunch or dinner. Maasor Tenga is best to take after a heavy meal as it enhances the digestion.
- Aloo Pitika – Aloo Pitika is a sort of boiled vegetable or fish prepared with a mixture of green chili, onion, chopped ginger, mustard oil, coriander leaves, potato, eggplant, pumpkin, and red lentils. This dish of Assam is served with rice.
- Xaak aru bhaji – Xaak aru Bhaji is an everyday dish of Assamese people prepared from vegetables, local herbs seasoned with ginger, garlic, and lemon.
- Ou Khatta – Ou Khatta is the sweet and sour chutney of elephant apple also known as ou and jaggery. This dish is cooked by boiling mustard seeds in oil and mixed with jaggery.
- Paro Manxho – Paro Manxho is also known as Pigeon meat. A non-vegetarian dish prepared with pigeon meat and banana flowers, best served with Koldil or banana flower.
- Silkworm – Silkworm is a tribal dish of Assam having fried worms with spices. In this, worms are crunchy on the outside and liquid-like from the inside.
- Baanhgajor Lagot Kukura – Baanhgajor Lagot Kukura is a unique and lip-smacking dish of Assam prepared with chicken meat, bamboo shoots, and lentils. This dish has a unique and delicious taste.
- Pitha – Pitha is a unique dish of Assam prepared either by frying, toasted, or hand-rolled. This dish is an essential part of Assam cuisine.
- Komolar Kheer – Komolar Kheer is prepared from rice with a twist of orange flavor in it. By adding orange pulp in KomolarKheer, a tangy and refreshing flavor added to it. Orange pulp can also be used to garnish the kheer.
Assam food is a full package of nutrients that will benefit your health. Assamese cuisine has lip-smacking dishes so, taste Assam food and enhance the taste of your taste buds.