Food of Arunachal Pradesh – 15 famous food of Arunachal Pradesh
8 months ago
Arunachal Pradesh is the state that is a complete package of tradition, culture, and authentic food. Arunachal Pradesh food differs from one tribe to another tribe.
The eastern side of Arunachal Pradesh depends on bamboo and boiled leafy vegetables. People of Tawang and nearby places use more of dairy products. The state is quite popular for either boiled or smoked food. Arunachal cuisine has less of fried food.
Here is the list of famous food of Arunachal Pradesh –
- Rice – Rice is a staple food of Arunachal Pradesh. Arunachali people cooked rice in the hollow bamboo over hot coal. This gives a different flavor to the rice.
- Bamboo Shoot – Bamboo shoots have sweet and sour flavor and prepared by using mustard seeds and garlic. It is a special dish in Arunachal Pradesh cuisine.
- Pika Pila – Pika Pila is one of the delicious dishes of Arunachal Pradesh. Apatani tribe has originated this dish using bamboo shoot, pig fat, aromatic spices, and a lot of chilies. It is served with rice.
- Lukter – Lukter is a roasted meat slice with dry red chili seeds sprinkled on it. This dish is specially prepared in December to celebrate the New Year. It is also served with rice.
- Pehak – Pehak is one of the famous and spiciest dishes of the state Arunachal Pradesh. It is prepared with fermented soya beans and the hot chili Bhoot Jolokia.
- Apong – Apong is a home-made rice beer that is prepared without using chemical. This beverage is the traditional drink of Arunachal Pradesh and an important part of the cuisine.
- Marua – Marua is home-made alcohol of millets. It is a famous beverage of Arunachal Pradesh. This beverage is served on special occasions.
- Chura Sabzi – Chura Sabzi is a sort of a curry dish of fermented cheese prepared by either yak or cow’s milk, aromatic spices, and local herbs. This dish is a great combination of cheese and spices.
- Momos – Arunachal Pradesh and Momos are interconnected to one another. Momos are originated in Tibet and modulated by Nepalese and now become the lifeline of Arunachal Pradesh. Momos are small steamed bun with vegetable fillings. The filling can be other than vegetables like ground meat. These dumplings are made of white flour dough. To enhance the texture of the momos, yeast or baking soda is also added to the dough.
- Meat – Meat is one of the main delicacies of Arunachal Pradesh. The most common meat that is found in Arunachal Pradesh is that of an animal called ‘Mithun.’ Arunachali loves either boiled or steamed Mithun’s meat.
- Thupka – Thukpa is the dish that is originated by Tibetan people. It is a kind of noodle soup in which vegetables like carrots, bell peppers, spinach, cauliflower, and celery, as well as chicken are used.
- Po Cha – Po Cha is a butter tea prepared with yak milk, salt, and butter. It is a tea or soup served with Koat Pitha or Iite.
- Pasa – Pasa is a raw fish prepared with smashed and mixed spices and juice of leaves. This dish is the age-old dish of the Arunachal state.
- Koat Pitha – Koat Pitha is a famous dish prepared with flour, banana, jaggery, and mustard oil. It is the sweet dish of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Iite – Iite is a nutritious dish prepared with a soft batter of rice, either baked or fried. It is served with chutney or curry.
All these are the traditional food of Arunachal Pradesh. So, try all the dishes and explore the tradition of the state.