7 Health Benefits of Corn- A tasty snack
1 week ago
With the arrival of monsoon, the season of corn arrives too. Eating corn in the midst of rain showers is an ultimate experience.
Corn is a favorite snack during parties and movies. Corn can be popped to make popcorn, grind to make corn flour, steamed to eat as sweet corn and many other ways are there in which corn is used. Corn or maize is a grain used to lower the risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer, type 2 diabetes, and obesity. Corn is a special plant as every part of it like husks, silk, the kernels, and the stalks can be used. The kernels of corn are widely consumed part. There are a number of varieties of corn are available but commonly found are sweet corn, popcorn, field corn, dent corn, and ornamental corn. We have seen Corn in yellow, but it comes in a variety of other colors such as red, blue, white, orange, cream, purple, brown, pink, and black.
The whole grain corn is healthy and incredibly nutritious as it contains fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. The variety of health benefits offered by corn discussed below.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CORN
1. Corn for Anaemia: Anaemia is a condition in which the count of red blood cells lower down and causes fatigue and paleness in the body. This happens commonly due to deficiency of Iron. Iron is a necessary element for the production of blood in the body. Corn is rich in Iron, folic acid, and Vitamin B6 which helps in increasing the RBC’s count. Including corn in your daily diet can prevent anemia.
2. Corn for eyes health: Common vision problems like macular degeneration and cataract can be cured by corn as it is rich in antioxidants like zeaxanthin and lutein (carotenoids). These two macular pigments are present in the retina of your eye and protect the eye from oxidative damage. Thus taking corn in your diet increases the carotenoids zeaxanthin and lutein level and protects your eyes from getting damaged.
3. Corn for Reducing Diabetes: Whole grains like corn are rich in polyphenolic plant compounds which help in regulating glucose and insulin level. Regular consumption of corn also improves digestive health and can lower the risk of developing chronic diseases, such as type 2diabetes.
4. Corn for heart health: sweet corn is a source of essential mineral potassium which is important for blood pressure control and may improve heart health. The use of corn oil in food can help in reducing the LDL cholesterol level.
Also read: 8 Juice for healthy heart
5. Corn against cancer: Corn is a rich source of fiber that helps in fighting against cancer-causing bacteria in gut. It reduces the risk of colon and lung cancer.
6. Corn for body tissues: Both popcorn and sweet corn have good amount of phosphorus mineral that plays an important role in the growth and maintenance of body tissues.
7. Corn during pregnancy: sweet corn is a portion of healthy food for pregnant women as corn contains Vitamin B9 also known as folic acid, a recommended mineral during pregnancy. But doctor consultation is necessary prior to take it.
Negative health effects of corn
No doubt corn is safe, however, everything has a double side. Every positive thing comes with its negative effect too. Corn intolerance is a common disease in which a person is not able to eat corn as their body shows an auto-immune response to gluten in corn, wheat, rye, and barley. This disease is also known as gluten intolerance or celiac disease. The person suffering from corn allergy shows fatigue, diarrhea, bloating, and weight loss as symptoms.
How to use corn?
Once you have brought the corn home, place it in your refrigerator as soon as possible otherwise chemical reaction causes corn to lose its sweetness. Cold temperatures slow down these chemical reactions. It’s best to cook the corn within three days. Cooked can be kept for three to five days in the refrigerator and 10 to 12 months in the freezer. Corn can be used to eat after grilling, boiling, microwaved, or steamed.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for a qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. Jugaadin.com does not claim responsibility for this information.