21 famous food of Bihar that needs to tried once
6 months ago
Bihar – the land of river Ganga where both rice and wheat are grown in plenty gives a lot of importance in eating seasonal food. The Bihari people usually cook food in mustard oil that gives a different taste to their delicacies. People of Bihar believe in making tasty and healthy food using seasonal ingredients with aromatic local spices and herbs in it.
Check out some famous food from the state of Bihar
1. LittiChokha – The first name that comes in mind after listening to the word Bihar is Litti chokha. LittiChokha is the traditional dish of Bihar in which litti is small spicy balls made of wheat, sattu, and spices. Chokha is made by mashing boiled vegetables that include potatoes, brinjal, tomatoes, chopped onions, garlic, and spices.
2. Khajuria/Thekua – Khajuria is the most common snack in Bihar. It’s a deep-fried dish made from wheat flour and jaggery. It is also known as Thekua.
3. Khaja – Khaja is a wafer-like snack that is common in Bihar. Prepared from the mixture sugar and flour and then deep-fried. It is dipped and soaked in hot sugar syrup to add sweetness to it.
4. Khurma and Laktho – Khurma is also known as Shakkarpara, which is a sweet snack of Bihari people. Made of flour and salt, deep-fried, and then dipped in sugar syrup. If it is made of rice flour and thick jaggery syrup, then it is known as Laktho.
5. Malpua – Malpua is a dish that is prepared on special occasions and festivals. Its the batter is a mixture of flour, sugar, mashed bananas, and milk. Then, the batter is deep-fried to make it crispy. It is the most common sweet dish all over India.
6. KadhiBadi – KadhiBadi is the common dish of the households of Bihar. Gram flour is used to make Badi. Along with Kadhi, Badis are cooked at a low flame for a long time. It is prepared especially at the Holi festival.
7. Balushahi – Balushahi is a sweet dish having sweet khoya and spices like cardamom and cinnamon, and flavored with saffron.
8. Pedakiya – Pedakiya is a dessert similar to Gujias. They are stuffed with sweet khoya, coconut, cardamom powder, and dry fruits in a crispy covering and dipped in sugar syrup. It is a traditional dessert of Bihar.
9. Parwal ki Mithai – Parwal is a vegetable that has been turned into a sweet dish by Bihari people. It is prepared with the inner pulp of Parwal. It is scooped out, boiled, dipped in syrup, and then filled with sweet khoya. It is the most royal dish of Bihar.
10. Dal Peetha – Dal Peetha is like momos in the Bihari way. Rice flour stuffed with lentil paste and aromatic spices add the taste to dal peetha. They can be steamed or fried and make a healthy breakfast.
11. Chana Ghugni – ChanaGhugni is a spicy-tangy evening snack of Bihar that is prepared from boiled chickpeas, fried with onion and spices along with flattened rice.
12. Kala Jamun – Kala Jamun has another different form known as Pantua that is famous in Bihar. It is made of mawa, sugar, and milk. It is basically originated in Bengal.
13. Puri Sabzi – Puri Sabzi is the most common breakfast in every household. In Bihar, Puri is served with Aaloo Sabzi that is mashed potato with delightful spices and herbs. It is served with a special dessert called Jalebi.
14. Mutton Kebabs and Reshmi Kebabs – Mutton Kebabs and Reshmi Kebabs are the most famous dish of Bihar and has its origin from Patna.
15. Naivedyam – Naivedyam is a kind of Prasad made of gram flour or besan, sugar, cashew, raisins, cardamom, saffron, and other flavors. It is cooked in ghee and then molded into a ball shape.
16. Laung-Latika – Laung-Latika is a traditional dessert of Bihar that is prepared during festivals. LaungLatika is the stuffed food dipped in sugar syrup. It is the perfect dish for winters and an exclusive dish of Bihar.
17. GurAnarsa – GurAnarsa is a sweet dish that is made of rice flour and jaggery. Coated with sesame seeds and fried over medium heat and gives an excellent taste.
18. Laai – Laai is a type of munchie that is prepared by frying cereals. Fried cereal dipped in jaggery syrup, and then shaped into balls. The cereal can be puffed with rice, beaten rice, or Ram dana. It can be served as an evening snack.
19. Tilkut – Tilkut is a healthy dessert of Bihar that is prepared from punched sesame seeds. It is cooked with a sugar base with a plentiful amount of crushed sesame seeds. Then, it heated with the right proportions of jaggery. Tilkut is only available in winters, and the best Tilkuta is made in Gaya.
20. Sattu Sharbat – SattuSharbat is a popular beverage of Bihar that is made from roasted gram flour. It is a package of proteins, energy, and a healthy meal in itself.
21. KheerMakhana – KheerMakhana is also known as Fox Nut. Makhane Ki Kheer is prepared in a similar process like normal Kheer, but it is slightly less sweet due to Makhana including in it.
All these are the most popular food of Bihar that increases the food flavor of Bihar.